Monday, May 11, 2015

Grandpa said not to drink the water!

(FOR DR. LARSON---#6: SOCIAL LIFE)

     One of the best ways to meet new people in a new country is to get together and go out! Our social lives here have bloomed, and I don’t think I’ve met and gotten to know so many new people since my freshman year of college at UNK. I came here with over 20 fellow Americans, and even though it would have been so much easier to stick with them all day every day and only speak well-spoken, American accented English, I would not have gotten the experience I did. I have met so many absolutely amazing people since I’ve come to the Czech Republic, and I have gotten an even better experience by living with all of the Erasmus students at the international dorms. Marissa and I have made such an effort to get to know our flat mates especially, and it is through them that we have made some of our fondest memories, and I truly believe that you can experience different parts of the world just by talking to someone from there. For example, some of my closest international friends I have made are a few students from France that I met through my flat mate Thibault. 

Thibault (left) and Kevin (right) from France at Belmondo

     By hanging out with them so much, I think I may finish this trip knowing more French than Czech! They talk about their home so much and are convinced (because they’re French..) that it is the most amazing place ever, I’m starting to believe them! People make all the difference when traveling, and I implore you to make that your first priority when you get the chance to travel!


Our group on our first weekend in Prague
    It’s no secret that we all like to go out while we are here, but we are just trying to do as the Romans do! The big nights people like to get together and go out are Mondays and Wednesdays. Monday nights are mostly spent at a pub called 15 minuts, and Wednesdays are spent at a club called Belmondo. Because we are in the international dorms, these are our nights where we can go out and meet some local Czech students also. We like to get talking and show off what little Czech we know and they enjoy us because nobody really ever bothers to learn Czech! These little weekly parties are mostly dominated by the Erasmus students though, so its fun going out and knowing so many friendly, familiar faces. Besides going out for the night though, we also love to go out for some coffee, or lunch or dinner at one of our favorite little restaurants we have found in Olomouc.






Na Zdraví! (Cheers!)


     Living with and getting so close to so many people has been the most exciting and by far one of my favorite parts of this whole experience. I will deeply miss waking up and being able to step out of my room and interact with so many different people and cultures. This is one thing that I absolutely cannot get in America, and it makes me sad to think that I may not ever have an experience like this ever again. Being able to have such a new and active social life over here make me see what I am missing, and also how many AMAZING people are out there in the world if you only give them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment